Sunday, November 18, 2007

Story #1 translation

1. Ave Maria

The Virgin Mary is the mother of God. Mary is also my mother. Jesus gives me His mother because He loves me. Mary also loves me. I love Mary, and often I greet my heavenly mother with these words and I ask her help:

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb,
Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
now, and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Exercises
A. Translation of the sentences followed by answers in Latin. (Answers can be done orally or can be written by the student.) Use the opening text (above) to find the answers.
1. Who is the Mother of God
Answer: Maria est Mater Dei. OR Mater Dei Maria est.
2. Is she also your mother?
Answer: Maria est quoque mater mea. OR Maria quoque mater mea est.
3. Why did Jesus give his mother to me?
Answer: Iesus Matrem suam mihi dat quia Iesus me amat.
4. With what words do I greet Mary?
Answer: Mariam cum verbis "Ave Maria" saluto. OR Ego Mariam cum verbis "Ave Maria" saluto.
5. What do I ask Mary?
Answer: Mariam eius auxilium rogo.

TIDBIT:
Word order matters in Latin!!
The most important places in a Latin sentence are the first word and the last word. Words are placed at the beginning to show emphasis. Verbs are usually at the end. Think of this when translating and answering the questions in this section. More about word order will be discussed as it comes up in other stories in this text.

7 comments:

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Great blog idea, Margot! I received my copy and will send you any comments I may have. Ana

Hillside Education said...

Thanks Ana!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Margot! I was trying to translate and thought ... boy an answer key would be helpful - : ) now I have one! Thanks for all you do for us
~allison

MAB said...

In the third sentence above, the translation should be "Jesus GIVES me His Mother..." instead of GAVE. Dat is the present tense.

We just started the book today and my son (age 9) is excited. He has been wanting to learn the Ave Maria!

Hillside Education said...

Thanks Allegiance Mom,
I was typing too fast!!
I have corrected it on the blog. Please feel free to write again if you find errors or question the translation.

Sprezzatura said...

'mater mea', not 'mater mei'. 'mei' is an objective genitive and never used for a possessive.

Hillside Education said...

Thanks Sprezzatura,
Yes, it should be "mea" in the question section. I have changed it in the blog post. Thanks for catching it! Sorry it took me so long to publish your comment - things are crazy here this summer!
God bless
Margot