Friday, September 18, 2009

Story #7 Duo Caeci

Two Blindmen

In Rome there were two blind men. Daily one (of them) cried through the streets of the city, "He is helped well whom the Lord desires to help." The other however cried, "He is helped well whom the Emperor desires to help." Day by day the two blind men cried these words. The emperor heard the two blind men. Immediately he ordered a baker to make bread and fill it with money (coins). Then to the blind man who trusted in the power of the emperor this bread, heavy with money, was given. When the blind man felt the weight of the bread, he was angry. "I am not able to eat this bread," he cried. "It is like (to) a rock."

"Today," said the other beggar, "I received a few coins. I will glady buy your bread for a cheap price. Do you wish to sell it to me?"

The first blind man gladly sold the bread at the least price. "Now," he thought, "I will be able to buy good bread." The blind man who bought the bread heavy with money hurried home. "God is good," he said. "God gave me this bread at a cheap price." Immediately he broke the bread which he was hungering. Behold, in the bread he found many coins (much money). With great joy he gave thanks to God. "He is helped well whom God wishes to help. Now I have much money. Now it is no necessary that I beg."

Day after day, the other blind man was begging. Whereupon the emperor called him and asked, "Where is the bread which was given to you?" But he answered, "I sold the bread to my comrade because it seemed like a rock to me."

"Truly," said the emperor, "He is helped well whom God desires to help."

No comments: